LGBT Veteran Training
LGBT Veteran Training
LGBT Health Program oversees educational programs on LGBT health in VHA. We provide ongoing educational programs for VHA staff about best practices in LGBT healthcare. They are designed to shape the environment of care for enhanced health, well-being and quality of life for LGBT Veterans.
LGBT Veteran Online Training, available on-demand outside the VA
We provide ongoing educational programs for VHA staff about best practices in LGBT healthcare. Many of these trainings are on our internal VA websites but two trainings in our “Do, Ask, Do Tell” series and three modules on Transgender health are available on-demand outside the VA:
- Do Ask, Do Tell: A Practical, Patient-Centered Approach to Working with Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Veterans
- Do Ask, Do Tell: Assessing Sexual Health of LGBT Veterans (and Everyone Else).
- An Introduction to Transgender Veteran Care*.
- Prescribing Cross-Sex Hormones*.
- Transgender Mental Health Services Program*.
Internal Training Programs
- Training interdisciplinary VA clinical teams in transgender Veteran care via Specialty Care Access Network - Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes (SCAN-ECHO).
- Provision of consultation on transgender Veteran care to VA healthcare providers via regional E-Consultation teams.
For more information about these programs see http://www.ruralhealth.va.gov/providers/collaborativeaccess.asp
LGBT Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Training Positions
Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Training Positions with an Emphasis on Interprofessional Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Health Care for Veterans.
Purpose: The purpose of this announcement is to request applications for a one-year Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship position for training in Clinical or Health Psychology with an emphasis in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) interprofessional health care for Veterans. The objective of this fellowship is to increase VA’s capacity to provide culturally and clinically appropriate care to LGBT Veterans. The nine sites include Bedford, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Milwaukee, San Diego, San Francisco, and West Haven. The fellows will receive specialty clinical training with LGBT Veterans in diverse clinics and will complete a research or scholarly project during their academic year (2016-2017).
Eligible Fellows: Psychology fellows must have completed all requirements of an APA-accredited psychology doctoral program and an APA-accredited internship. Fellows must be US citizens. To find out more please visit the VA Psychology Training Website.
Sites• Bedford - Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA Medical Center - Training Director: Richard Amodio, PhD - Track Director: Stephen Gresham, PhD - web site: http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/bedford/ - POC email: Stephen.Gresham@va.gov
• Boston - VA Boston Healthcare System (VABHS) - Training Director: Amy Silberbogen, PhD - Track Directors: Colleen Sloan, PhD - web site: http://www.boston.va.gov/psychologytraining/fellowship.asp - POC email: email@example.com
• Chicago - Hines VA Hospital - Training Director: Caroline Hawk, PhD - Track Director: Jamie Mathews, Psy.D. - web site: http://www.hines.va.gov/about/Psych_Post.asp - POC email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Hawaii - Honolulu - VA Pacific Islands Health Care System (VAPIHCS) - Training Director: Shiloh Jordan, PhD - Track Director: Dennis Perez, PhD - web site: http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/honolulu/ - POC email: Dennis.Perez@va.gov
• Houston - Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Training Director: Ellen Teng, PhD - Track Director: Michael Kauth, PhD - web site: Houston Education/Psychology Internship & Postdoctoral Fellowship Program Overview - POC email: Ellen.email@example.com
• Milwaukee - Milwaukee VA Medical Center - Training Director: Jim Hart, PhD - Track Director: Gregory Simons, PhD - web site: http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/milwaukee/ - POC email: Gregory.SimonsJr@va.gov
• San Diego - VA San Diego Healthcare System - Training Director: Brian Buzzella, PhD, ABPP - Track Director: Jeri Muse - web site: http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/sandiego/ - POC email: Jeri.Muse@va.gov
• San Francisco - San Francisco VA Medical Center - Training Director: Samuel Wan, PhD - Track Director: Michael Burnias - web site: https://www.sanfrancisco.va.gov/education/psychologytraining.asp - POC email: Michael.Burnias@va.gov
• West Haven - West Haven - VA Connecticut Healthcare System - Training Director: Meg Stacy - Track Director: Lynette Adams, PhD - web site: http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/westhaven/ - POC email: Lynette.Adams@va.gov